Electrical malfunction causes house fire in Ft. Worth, TX
An electrical malfunction caused a fire in this Ft. Worth, TX home. The before picture shows the mess it leaves behind for the homeowner to handle. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth professionals were called in to clean up the soot and pervasive odor in the home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 817-232-3333
Fire Safety tips for Homeowners in Ft. Worth, TX
Is your home a fire hazard? Most home owners have smoke alarms, but many are not working or old. Smoke alarms double the chance of your family surviving a fire, so it goes without saying that you should have several. Below are some precautions:
- Don’t neglect to test them and change the batteries regularly.
- You should test them once a month and change the batteries every 6 months (if your smoke alarms use replaceable batteries) regardless of whether they seem to need it, just to be on the safe side (some alarms are 10-year tamper resistant and don’t have replaceable batteries).
- You know the drill — make it a habit to change batteries twice a year when you turn your clocks.
- Purchase smoke alarms and other fire safety products at your local hardware stores.
SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth professionals are here to help you recover from a fire in your home. Most of us do not know what to do when a fire starts. This is an extremely difficult time as people have often lost numerous personal belongings. Their home may be compromised, and they might have to leave for a while during the fire damage restoration process.
As you think about fire prevention in your home, remember that the most important thing is to get yourself and loved ones to safety. Your home and belongings can be replaced, but you can't!
SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth is available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control quickly.
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 817-232-3333
Hot water heater floods this business office in Ft. Worth, TX
A hot water heater from next door floods this business office in Fort Worth, TX. Water was extracted from all of the offices, baseboards removed, drilled holes in walls, and moved the furniture away from walls. Drying equipment was set up throughout the affected areas to speed up drying process. The owners were happy we went the extra mile by not leaving until the job was done right!
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 817-232-3333
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth
SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Flooded Shoe Store in Ft. Worth, TX
A roof leak caused this retail shoe store to flood during business hours. After assessing the water damage our highly trained technicians discovered mold in the main room and bathroom. Drywall, commercial carpet, ceiling tiles, and insulation had to be removed and mold remediation began immediately. The before picture shows mold on the drywall above the ceiling tiles. During demo mold was discovered on the bottom drywall and had to be removed then containment was set up.
Flooding and water damage events at Fort Worth commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth
SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
DON'T WAIT! CALL US TODAY- 817-232-3333
Is it Really Mold? A common question among homeowners
People have a sort of love/hate relationship with mold. Some mold is safe for you. For example, many types of cheese are cultured with mold, such as Brie and Blue cheese. Mold is also used for fermenting alcohol and making bread rise. However, some molds can cause negative health effects. Black mold usually refers to toxic types of mold. It is dark in color and may appear in small, black circles. The circles are usually clustered together. When you notice this in your home, you need to schedule mold removal as quickly as possible. Why? For the following reasons:
The moment your drywall is exposed to water or moisture, it could start growing mold if there are spores present. In fact, in the right conditions, you could notice visible mold within 24-48 hours after water exposure. Black mold will also spread quickly. Mycotoxins from mold may impact the health of people in your home. It's important to catch it as early as possible to prevent it from spreading throughout your home and potentially causing health effects for your family members.
Dry black mold spores may become airborne. They get into your body through your nose as you breathe. The spores are microscopic, so you can't see them or know when you're inhaling them. Exposure to mold can cause health effects.
The spores will get into the air when they are disturbed, so it's important to handle mold damaged materials with care. Make sure that you use the proper methods and equipment to prevent mold from spreading to other areas of your home. Better yet, hire a professional to come help you remove the mold and prevent future mold growth.
If you think that you may have mold in your home, you should schedule our team to come to your home and look for evidence of water damage and signs of black mold. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth is a mold remediation contractor. A mold assessment company can test the mold to determine what type of mold you have. Whether it's black mold or another variety, if mold has damaged your home, you want it removed and remediated right away. The proper steps need to be taken to prevent mold spores from becoming airborne, spreading through your home, and causing expensive damage.
SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth is your Mold Removal Expert! Call Us Today – 817-232-3333
Mold Remediation Experts for Ft. Worth, TX
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 817-232-3333
Don't Let It Grow!
Black mold not only invades and damages your home, but it can also affect the health of your family. Some varieties of mold may not be a concern to healthy individuals, while other strains of mold produce mycotoxins. There are some key signs of black mold that may help homeowners or renters identify the toxin. Here are the top three signs of black mold.
Mold thrives on water and humidity. If water damage is found in a house, it is very possible that black mold will be found with it. Rooms such as bathrooms and kitchens are especially susceptible to mold growth because of the high humidity in the atmosphere. Mold tends to grow near leaking pipes and condensation because it requires the presence of water. Call SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth out to your home to check for sources of moisture and to mitigate water damage as soon as you notice a problem. In North Texas, water damage that is left to dry out on it’s own often results in mold damage.
Often times, mold has a smell. If there are certain rooms of your Haslet or Saginaw home that have odor that seems musty or a little off (some people describe it as a mildew smell), it could be mold. Black mold can grow just about anywhere if the conditions are right, so even if it’s a room where mold growth seems unlikely, it is still a good idea to get it checked.
This common sign seems obvious, but if you think you are seeing mold damage in your home, then you are probably correct. Mold may be black or dark in color; sometimes it is fuzzy; and sometimes there are white threads or clusters of small dark specks. Make sure to check bathrooms, kitchens, and other humid rooms regularly for mold. Finding and treating mold is preferable to developing symptoms from it and wondering what the problem is.
Look for a mold assessment company to help identify mold damage in your home. Then to remove the mold, you will contact a mold remediation contractor. There are many mold assessment companies and mold remediation contractors in and around Fort Worth. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth is a mold remediation contractor.
The best way to control mold growth is to control moisture. Set your thermostat to keep the indoor relative humidity low, or use a residential dehumidifier in damp areas of your home.
Black mold can be a very dangerous substance. It’s important to be aware of the signs of mold to prevent, identify, and treat it. Black mold is often visible and can be smelled, so you suspect mold damage in your home call SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth at 817-232-3333 to set up an appointment.
How to Protect Your Property From High Winds
This Dollar General sign was in a disarray after being damaged by strong winds early Wednesday morning in Rhome, TX. The manager of the store arrived shortly after severe storms rolled through the area Wednesday to secure the back door. As you can see in the picture the sign was hanging while the rest of the sign blew into a tree across the street.
One of the biggest dangers from thunderstorms is flying debris caused by high winds that can damage buildings and endanger people. Take a look around your home or business and make these improvements to reduce your risk:
- Trim trees and shrubbery away from buildings and remove any weakened sections of trees that might easily break off and fall onto buildings.
- Contact your local utility company to trim away any limbs close to utility lines that could potentially pull down lines or even entire poles. When trimming trees it is important never to touch any wires. Trimming should usually be done by a contractor or the local utility company.
- Promptly remove any debris in your yard or surrounding your business, such as tree trimmings, to reduce the risks of flying debris during high winds. Avoid placing yard debris in an area where it could end up in the street or near drains, which could become clogged during a thunderstorm’s heavy downpour.
- Secure any parts of fencing that appear weakened or loose. High winds can easily dislodge boards and pieces from a fence, creating flying debris.
- When thunderstorms are forecast, remove loose objects outside, such as lawn furniture, signs, garbage cans and potted plants.
SERVPRO ofNorthwest Fort Worth specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today - 817-232-3333
Specialty Equipment Used in Mold Remediation
HEPA 500 Air Scrubber and LGR Dehumidifier placed inside containment in kitchen area in Fort Worth TX.
After discovering microbial growth in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth at 817-232-3333. Believe it or not, mold problems can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth has trained technicians that are able to identify and remove the mold damaged materials, and then restore the space to preloss conditions.
- Proprietary Antimicrobial Treatments - applications of special biocide product that is safe to use in homes, hospitals, kitchens, and around humans and pets.
- HEPA 500 Air Scrubbers - remove mold spores and other particulate from the indoor air with efficient 2-stage filtration.
- Dehumidifiers - either Low Grain Refrigerant Dehumidifiers or Desiccant Dehumidifiers will be placed to remove excess moisture from the air and the building materials.
- Hydroxyl Generators - odor neutralization using a state-of-the-art system that converts organic and inorganic gases and air pollutants into carbon dioxide and water.
- Custom-Built Containments - isolate the problem areas from the rest of your home or business with sturdy plastic containment.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 817-232-3333.
Hot water heater causes water damage in Ft. Worth, TX
A broken hot water heater created several inches of standing water in this Fort Worth, TX business. Our highly trained technicians extracted the water, removed the cove base, and drilled holes for drying inside the walls and under the cabinets. Drying equipment was set up to help speed up the process. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth worked around the clock to restore the effected area and prevent any secondary damage from occurring.
We know that commercial water damage can cost a business thousands of dollars in productivity; it is always our goal to help keep your business running as flawlessly as possible through the restoration process.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
Your name and contact information
Your insurance information (if applicable)
The street address of the water-damaged business
When did the flooding or water damage occur?
What caused the water damage (if known)?
Is there electricity available (on-site)?
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your business and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Timeline
Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
Drywall begins to swell and break down.
Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
Furniture begins to swell and crack.
Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
A musty odor appears.
For help restoring your commercial space after a water loss, call SERVPRO of Northwest Fort Worth at 817-232-3333. We’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”